Monday, April 4, 2011

Back on the Main Land

Sorry for the lack of posting lately, but I was out of town and then recovering from being out of town.  Charlie and I went to Hawaii for one of my best friend's wedding.  It was an amazing trip!  I had planned on going on this trip since it was first offered almost 9 months ago, but with all the recent events in my life I wasn't sure I would still go.  In the end, I opted to go and to take Charlie along with me.  I was worried about the long trip there and back with a 3 1/2 year old.  I don't travel much and I have only flown twice in my life...once for my senior year spring break and once for my honeymoon.  Taking a 14 hour trip across country with my daughter was a scary, yet exciting thought.

I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing.  My parents tried and tried to convince me to leave Charlie with them and go on my own, but the thought of being that far from her was paralyzing.  Not only that, but I really wanted us to have the experience together.  I was terrified, but the fear was all for nothing.  We had a fantastic time and the traveling, while somewhat never-racking, was quite smooth.  My little girl was a champ on all the flights (6 in all) and I managed to keep track of her and our luggage without losing my sanity. 

I can't even begin to describe all the amazing things that happened on our trip, but it was an experience I will never forget.  Besides, if I do forget any of it, I have a couple hundred pictures to remind me.  I won't bore you with all the flowery descriptions and details of everything we did, but I will say this...Hawaii is by far the most beautiful place I have ever been in my life.  It is the closest thing to paradise I can even imagine.  I would go back in a heartbeat (if I could afford it). 

In the end, it turned out to be a priceless experience for me.  I feel somewhat empowered by it all.  I am a newly single mom and I live very close to my friends and family.  I am lucky to have such a strong support group so close by, but sometimes it leaves me feeling dependant.  Sometimes I question my ability to be a good mom without having to constantly lean on others.  This trip made me realize that I can do things on my own and be quite competent.  Was I nervous?  SHIT YES.  Did we survive?  Of course.  Did we rock Hawaii and have a great time?  HELLS TO THE YEAH!!

No comments:

Dig in...