Thursday, April 14, 2011

What's Missing Tells More

They say that the contents of a woman's purse says a lot about her.  Mama Kat's writing prompt this week was to tell what the contents of your purse say about you.  I started to write about this and decided that it just wasn't very insightful.  The contents of my purse are pretty sparse and predictable.  The more I thought about it, the more I realized that the things NOT in my purse say a lot more about me.

What's missing...

1.  Tissues and Wet Wipes.  I'm a mom and I should have these things, but I don't.  What's worse is that I know I will need them and I still neglect to put them in.  I don't know why...no clue.  For crying out loud, my mom has Wet Wipes in her purse and she doesn't even have a toddler.  Whenever I am out with my mom and my child, I have to ask her for Wet Wipes for my kid.  Fail.  Sadly, this is very typical of me.  I am just not a prepared sort of girl.  I figure that anywhere I go there is bound to be a bathroom with papertowels and water.  Maybe this is why I was a girl scout drop out.

2.  Credit Cards.  Yup, not a one.  I got myself into trouble with credit cards and I have since sliced and diced them all.  The closest thing I have is my debit card.  I'm actually pretty proud of this even though it means I have missed out on some great purchases.  I'm not good at self discipline and I am a compusive shopper, so this goes in the win category.

3.  Toys, games, ect.  Once again, I'm just not very prepared.  I know there are times when they would be nice to keep the little one occupied, but I just don't do it.  Part of it is because I just don't like having a 30 pound purse, part of it is because I am a slacker. 

4.  Medicine.  You would think I would learn to keep some Tylenol in there, but I never do.  But hey, if I get a headache I'm sure my mom has some in her purse.

5.  Makeup.  Not because I don't need it, but because I just don't have time to mess with it when I am out.  Oh, I may have some chapstick, but that is all.  I am a horse girl.  I live on the farm and don't wear make up everyday.  It's not because I am self confident, it's because I just don't have the time to care most days. 

6.  Money.  This one just sucks.

7.  A Calendar.  I used to have one, now I have my blackberry and without it I would be completely lost.  It's a little crazy how much I rely on that thing.  I'm not sure I would know any of my friends' numbers without it.  I certainly wouldn't know when or where I was supposed to be most days.  It's a crutch and I've come to terms with that.

So there you have it, I'm an unprepared slacker.  In reality, my purse has very little in it and most days I just grab my wallet and leave my purse behind.  On the other hand, I could live for a week out of what is in my car...it has EVERYTHING stashed in it.  I don't really know what all this says about me...maybe I need to take my purse to therapy and have it's contents (or lack thereof) analyzed by a professional.

Mama’s Losin’ It

5 comments:

Venassa said...

The toys/games one sounds good in theory, but my purse sometimes collects so much stuff that it hurts my shoulder after a half an hour of shopping.
I also go without money a lot.
The tissues and wet wipes are a good idea though! I may have to get myself into that habit when I have my little one around.

Anne said...

Tiffany... love your post and the twist you put on it. What your purse is lacking. I'm more of a slacker too in that department, especially in the 1st aid department or clean up/wipes/tissues stuff. Scarily though I'm always loaded pads and tampons and always without fail pull them out when trying to get to something else. How embarrassing is that? I'm sure many have gotten a laugh out of me!

Anonymous said...

Mine is missing money too! My father claims to have a had a money tree in the back yard- I cannot seem to find those dang seeds anywhere!
**Visiting from MamaKats

Jackie said...

I carry a bottle of hand sanitizer only because I got it for free, but other than that, I think there's a bathroom with water everywhere I go too. Plus, where were the wipes and sanitizer when we were growing up? As for makeup, I only carry lipstick because I don't want to hassle with anything else. Takes too much time!

Suzanne McClendon said...

Mine is almost always missing any real money, too.

Anne, yes, totally embarrassing. That used to be my purse, too, until parts were removed from me this past fall.

Tiffany, you don't sound like a slacker to me, just someone with lots on her mind.

I'm here from Mama Kat's site, too.

Dig in...