Monday, November 3, 2008

WTF Baby Mama Drama

I haven't blogged yet about my husband's ex-wife and the mother of my stepkids. The back story is so long and drama filled that I just haven't felt like tackling it. Not only would it take forever to explain (I should just write a book), but we've gotten past the major drama of it and I try not dwell on it. Anyway, all you need to really know to understand this post is the following...
1. My hubby was married brief to his X (I'll call her Mikki) and had two kids, a son who is 6 and a daughter who is 10 in a couple of weeks.
2. The kids live with us most of the time even though the official arraingment is shared parenting.
3. "Mikki" has a good job, but does not manage her money well. This year she has had her house forclosed on and her car repoed. She doesn't contribute for the kid's expenses (much).


So, on with the story...

The kids spent this past weekend at her house and came home last evening with breaking news. This is the conversation that I had with my step-daughter...

Stepdaughter comes running in the house: "Guess what? I'm going to have another baby brother or baby sister! Mom is pregnant."

Me: "Really?"

SD: "Yup. She's been pregnant for six months, but she didn't want to tell us until she was really sure."

Me: "Wow. That's exciting."

* At this point she ran off to her room and the conversation continued later that night when she brought it up again.

SD: "I can't believe I'm going to have another brother or sister!"

Me: "Yeah, that's pretty exciting."

SD: "You know, mom didn't do it the normal way."

Me: "Do what the normal way?"

SD: "Get pregnant."

**At this point I was really concerned about where this was going to go.

Me: "Oh really, what do you mean?"

SD: "She didn't have....(pause)...you know....S - E - X (whispered spelling)

Me: "Oh she didn't, well how did she get pregnant then?"

SD: "I don't know. She said it just happened."

ARGHRGH!!!!! For the love of God. Seriously???? She seriously told a 10 year old that it "just happened"?? That's great, just great. She's freakin 10. She knows how it works. Way to take responsibility. Just another example of her fine parenting skills. Unbelievable.

I am still in shock about this whole thing. I really don't know how she is going to do it. She works 3rd shift, so she's going to have to find a sitter. She doesn't ever have any money now. They live in a two bedroom rental. She has a tiny little beat up car. She doesn't do hardly anything for the two kids she already has. She smokes like a chimney...in the house. I feel so sorry for the poor baby being brought into her world.

6 comments:

Lilly said...

Oh gosh you poor thing and you are left to deal with it all. Fancy saying that to a child of 10. Not sure what advice I can give. Its hard being the step parent really hard but their mother really sounds as though she has a lot of problems.

Its probably a good thing the kids are with you and their father more than the mother. Let us know how it turns out. What did she manage to pay for IVF or was it an immaculate conception perhaps?

Aleta said...

This makes me so sad.... There are people in this world who would love to have a child and can't. Then there are others who have them and don't know how or don't wish to care for the child...

tiffany1377 said...

Lily: I'm sure it was IV, but perhaps she is the next virgin Mary??

Aleta: This really bothers me. One of my best friends has been trying so hard to get pregnant and she would be such a fantastic mom. It just sucks.

Anonymous said...

Tiffany, great discussion on the other site. I would have loved for it to continue. We as a country could progress a lot further if we had more of that type of exchange rather than name calling and accusations of being a paid supporter.

tiffany1377 said...

Pat: Thanks! I agree...see we can agree on something! LOL. Check back here sometime...I've been slacking on posting here, but I have some political stuff I'm going to be posting soon. I'd love to have your comments.

A New Yorker said...

There are a lot of people like your step children's mother, in this world. It's good they have you to show balance and reason.

Dig in...